The smell of this delectable fig, cranberry and white stilton bread baking in the oven on Christmas morning is guaranteed to get even the sleepiest member out of bed. Measure out all the ingredients on Christmas Eve and you’ll have it in the oven before you can say ‘Santa’s been’! Serves 8
Christmas Morning Bread- England
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/350° F.
- Cover a baking sheet with non-stick baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the salt, stilton cheese, cranberries and figs. In another bowl, add the beaten egg to the buttermilk and milk and mix well, then pour into the flour mixture and use your hands to mix quickly – just enough to bring the ingredients together. The mixture should be wet and sticky.
- Pour the mixture onto the baking sheet to make a large round, then put straight into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm, or sliced and toasted the next day.