Wind Spirit Cupcakes
A creative confection inspired by a force of nature! You will need a candy/sugar thermometer and a hand mixer for this recipe.
- Add sugar, corn syrup and water to a non-stick saucepan and heat to 300°F/150°C using the thermometer to monitor. Remove from heat and place in a cold water bath to cool to 275°F/135°C degrees.
- Dip one beater of the hand mixer into the hot caramel and turn on for about 3-5 seconds. The sugar will catch on the mixer. Carefully remove from the beater.
- Continue until you’ve reached your desired amount, removing spun sugar from the beater each time, and gently mold into a spiral shape.
- Alternative Method: Lay two spoons across a bowl. When sugar has reached the correct temperature, dip a fork or sugar whisk into the hot sugar and quickly flick the sugar between the two spoons. The sugar will cling to the spoon handles. Remove from handles and mold. Continue with remaining sugar.
- If sugar starts to get too cold, gently reheat to 300°F/150°C degrees again and repeat the process.
- Place spun sugar on top of cupcakes and serve.
- Note: Spun sugar will wilt in a humid environment; these should be enjoyed immediately.