Garlic elevates this simple fried rice recipe, giving it a robust flavour that make it a great side dish, no matter what you serve with it. Its best when the rice is cooked the day before to allow it to settle and dry slightly. Serves 6.
Sinangag - Filipino Garlic Fried Rice
- In a large wok or skillet, heat the oil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and add the minced garlic. Stir fry the garlic for 2-3 minutes, until it turns a light golden color. Carefully remove the garlic from the pan, leaving the garlic-infused oil behind. Drain the fried garlic on paper towels until cool.
- Add the cooked rice to the garlic oil in the wok, stirring to coat all the grains with oil. Spread the rice out in the wok, covering as much surface area of the hot pan as possible. Let the rice cook, undisturbed, for 3-5 min. Stir the rice well, then spread it out again and cook, undisturbed for 3-5 min more. Continue this process until the rice is cooked to your liking.
- Once the rice is golden and starting to get crispy, return the fried garlic to the pan (saving some for garnish, if desired).
- Season the rice with salt and pepper and transfer it to a serving dish.
- Garnish with extra fried garlic and sliced scallions.
- If desired, serve the rice topped with fried eggs.