Kheer is a delicious rice pudding popular in Nepal and Northern India. It is similar to European rice pudding but with the addition of spices like cinnamon, cardamon, fenugreek and cloves. It's the perfect follow-up after a hearty curry.
- Bring the milk and rice to a boil in a pan.
- When it starts to boil, reduce the heat, stir and add the grated coconut and all the spices.
- Let it simmer for around 20 minutes to cook the rice, then add the sugar. Keep stirring to avoid the bottom of the pan burning.
- When the sugar has dissolved into the mixture, continue cooking for a further 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and transfer mixture to a separate bowl, cover with cling film and refrigerate for around 4 hours or over night.