Mini masala sausage rolls
The old sausage roll gets a make-over with this wonderfully spicy and zesty recipe. Bet you can't stop at one.
Mint & Coriander Raita
- For the raita, process all the ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Heat oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and carrot. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until soft. Add the garam masala, cumin and currants. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic. Set aside to cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan forced. Line two baking trays with baking paper. Combine the onion mixture, beef and pork mince, breadcrumbs, lemon rind, mint, coriander, salt and egg in a large bowl.
- Cut the 2 whole pastry sheets in half. Divide the mince mixture into 5 portions and shape each portion into a log the same length as the pastry sheets. Place mince along the centre of each piece of pastry. Roll up to enclose the filling. Cut each log into 8 mini sausage rolls. Divide among prepared trays. Brush the pastry with egg yolk. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to chill.
- Brush the sausage rolls with a second coat of egg yolk. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Serve with the raita.