Serves : 4-6 › Preparation: 15 mins › Cook: 70mins
- Soak the cabbage, Cavolo Nero and potatoes in a large bowl of cold water.
- Roughly chop the celery, the onion, carrots and parsley together on a chopping board. Heat the olive oil in a large stockpot over a medium heat and once the oil is warm, add the chopped ingredients to the pan and saute for 8 - 10 minutes, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon, and check the ingredients aren't sticking or burning. Add the chopped tomatoes and the tomato paste, stir, then cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the vegetable or chicken stock to the stockpot, season with a little salt and pepper and thyme. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain the cabbage and potatoes and add to the stockpot, (also add the Pancetta if using). Cook over a medium heat for approx 45 minutes, adding more stock if needed. The soup should be rather thick. Add the beans 5 minutes before the soup is ready.
- To serve: place a slice of bread layer into a hot soup bowl. Drizzle with a little olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt.
- This soup is even better if kept overnight and reheated the following day.