Water Spirit Cookies
Makes about 12 delicious cookies.
For the cookies:
- Preheat oven to 325°F/165°C degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the sugar and butter with the paddle attachment until fluffy and pale.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Add in all of the dry ingredients at once and stir until just combined and no patches of dry flour remain.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and roll the dough out to about ¼-⅓” / 1/2 – 3/4 cm thick. Chill dough in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and cut out 3 ½”/9 cm circles. Transfer the cut-outs to the prepared baking sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Bake cookies for 12-15 minutes. Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, roll out fondant to about ⅓”/3/4 cm thick and cut out as many 3 ½”/9cm circles as you have cookies. *Note: the sugar cookies will expand slightly in the oven so there will be a thin cookie border around the fondant topping.
- Once cooled, lightly brush cookies with corn syrup or simple syrup and attach the fondant circle, pressing gently to adhere.
- Place hard candy in a heatproof bowl or glass and carefully pour enough boiling water over candy to completely cover. Stir to dissolve.
- Variation: Add a small amount of gel food coloring to a small bowl and add 1 tablespoon of lemon or peppermint extract – stir to dissolve coloring.
- Gently brush the top of the fondant decorated cookies with water and use a dropper or paint brush to create a watercolor effect.
- Allow cookies to dry completely, about 1 hour, before serving.