Red fruits and vegetables are coloured by a natural plant pigment called lycopene. Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that can help reduce the risk of cancer and keep our hearts healthy.
Veggie Pasta Sauce
A delicious vegetable pasta sauce made with six different vegetables. Perfect for picky eaters or just a great way to add more veg to your family's diet. No added salt or sugar. Great for a pasta sauce or for topping pizzas. It can also be used to replace tomato sauce in most recipes. Note: This recipe makes A LOT of sauce. (Around 2.6kg which is roughly the equivalent of 6-7 commercial jars of pasta sauce.) It’s ideal to freeze the remaining sauce for quick and easy weeknight meals, or if you prefer, halve or even quarter the recipe.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and mixed herbs and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the remaining vegetables (celery, leeks, carrots, capsicum, zucchini) and cook, covered, for around 20 minutes. Continually check and stir the vegetables, you want them to soften but not burn.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, and stock or water. Stir until combined. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and allow to simmer for a further 20 mins.
- Allow to cool slightly and then blend until smooth, using a stick blender, food processor or blender. You may have to do this in batches due to the volume of sauce.
- Allow to fully cool before pouring the sauce into containers/zip lock bags for storing or freezing.