Spicy Marinated Sardines - Sardinas en escabeche picante
- Cut off and discard heads of cleaned sardines. Rinse and dry fish.
- Pour enough olive oil in a frying pan to cover the bottom generously and place pan over medium heat.
- Dredge fish in seasoned flour, shaking off excess.
- Brown quickly on both sides; do not cook through.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Heat oil in a non-aluminium pan until moderately hot.
- Add garlic, onions and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato puree, tomato paste, vinegar, bay leaves and salt to taste and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Layer sardines compactly in an earthenware or stainless steel bowl interspersing layers with bell peppers (capsicum) strips.
- Pour marinade over sardines making sure all are well covered.
- Let cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 4 days before serving.
- During this time, the sardine bones soften completely.
- Serve chilled.