This chicken dish probably isn't one to try on the younger members of the family, but it's a dinner party winner when you want to show off! Serves 4 - 6
Red wine and chocolate chicken
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Place half the butter and oil in a casserole over medium heat. Cook speck, celery and eschalots for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and garlic and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Return casserole to medium heat with remaining 25g of butter and 1 tablespoon of oil. Season chicken with salt and cook in 2 batches, turning, for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Return all chicken to the pan. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until browned. Add tomato paste and cook for a further 1 minute, the add wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Tie together bay, oregano and reserved parsley stalks to make a bouquet garni and add to pan with stock and spices.
- Bring to the boil, them over with a lid. Transfer to oven and cook for 50 minutes or until tender.
- Strain chicken and vegetables and set aside, discarding cinnamon and bouquet garni,
- Return sauce to medium heat and bring to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes or until slightly reduced and thickened, then whisk in chocolate. Pour sauce over chicken and scatter with extra oregano.