Fire Spirit Flambé
This will take some concentration and time – you will need to start the day before - but we’ve done it and it’s worth all the effort! You will need a kitchen torch for this recipe. Serves 6 -8
For the base:
- Line a small glass bowl with plastic wrap. Scoop sorbet or ice cream into the bowl, pressing down so that ice cream fills all sides of the bowl and eliminating as many bubbles and spaces as possible. Freeze completely – 2 hours or more.
- Prepare cake – box or homemade – for a 9×13 sheet cake. Let cool and cut out a circle the same size as the base of the bowl with ice cream. Set aside.
- Remove ice cream from the freezer, unwrap plastic and set cake round on top. Re-cover cake with plastic to keep it from drying out and freeze 4 hours or overnight.
- In a clean, dry bowl whisk egg whites and cream of tartar using a hand mixer or stand mixer until very foamy, about 2 minutes. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time mixing about 30 seconds between additions. Once all the sugar has been added, continue to mix until whites are glossy and form stiff peaks.
- Remove cake from the freezer, flip onto serving plate and remove the bowl. If it won’t easily release from the bowl let thaw slightly. Remove plastic wrap.
- Using a spoon or spatula, completely cover the dome with meringue mixture creating swirly peaks.
- Use a kitchen torch to lightly torch the meringue.
- Pour alcohol into a small ladle or pot carefully light on fire.
- Carefully pour flaming alcohol over meringue in a circular motion to flambe – extinguish flames once cake has reached your desired flambe.